Housing Issues Information
This page is dedicated to providing information relating to housing and housing related issues, via links to other organizations and services.

Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) -

Provides financial & technical assistance through public and private partnershiops to create & preserve safe, affordable housing.  They also provide resources & educational programming on a variety of housing issues such as homelessness, special needs housing & foreclosure.  

Contact Information:
735 E. Michigan Ave
P. O. Box 30044
Lansing, MI  48909
Main Phone:  517-373-8370

Other Numbers:  
Homeless & Special Needs Housing:  517-241-1609
Homeownership Needs:  517-373-6840
Foreclosure Prevention Counselors:  1-866-946-7432
Website:  www.michigan.gov/mshda

Michigan Department of Treasury -
Provides tax services and resources including various types of assistance.  Many services are offered online and individuals are encouraged to visit their website if they have questions or need assistance.

Contact Information:
Michigan Dept. of Treasury
Lansing, MI  48922
Phone:  517-373-3200
Tax Info & Assistance:  517-636-4486
Website:  www.michigan.gov/treasury

These links are provided as informational only and are not guaranteed or endorsed by Laketon Township.

Assistance Programs/Services (Federal, State & Local - Human Service Programs)
This page will contain basic information and links to a variety of resources &/or assistance programs designed to assist low-income families, senior citizens or disabled persons, victims of domestic violence or any other services we can find information on to help people live healthly, safe and productive lives.  This is by no means a list of every program available, however Laketon Township wishes to pass along any information it has become aware of that may help our residents.  More information will be added as it becomes available.  Please check back often.

Click on each program name and be taken directly to their website for more detailed information on each program.
Federal Programs
State Programs/Agencies
  • Dept. of Human Services (DHS) - Assistance Programs - A variety of programs, such as cash assistance (FIP), food assistance (food stamps/bridge card), State Disabiltiy Assistance (SDA), State Emergency Relief (SER), Adult Medical Program (AMP), Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Medical Assistance (MA/Medicaid) etc. - Informational flyers are also available at the Laketon Township Hall.
  • Michigan Department of Civil Rights  - This department has several commissions within:  Civil Rights Commission 313-456-3843, Michigan Women's Commission 313-456-4702, Commission on Disability Concerns 517-335-6004.  There are local office in Grand Rapids in the State Office Building 616-356-0380 or check them out online at www.michigan/gov/mdcr
  • Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) - This deparment contains the following commissions:  Michigan Rehabilitation Services 517-373-3390, Michigan Commission for the Blind 517-373-5614, Michigan Public Service Commission 517-241-6180 or visit them online at www.michigan.gov/lara
  • Domestic Violence Services - Get help from one of the 46 agencies funded by DHS's Michigan Domestic Violence Prevention and Treatment Board.  You can also call the National Domestic Violence hotline 1-800-799-7233.
  • MIChild - MIChild is a health insurance program for uninsured children of Michigan's working families.
  • Michigan Department of Community Health - a variety of health care programs for qualifying children and individuals
  • Early On Michigan - a program for families who have a child (birth to age 3) with a disability, developmental delay or a related medical condition.  This program can assist with services such as assessments, audiology, diagnostic medical services, family skills training, home visits, nursing services, vision services, family counseling, service coordination, pathology, nutritional counseling, occupational therapy, special equipment, etc.  Click the link or call 1-800-EARLYON (327-5966)
  • Summer Food Service Program - A program created to ensure that the children in lower-income areas could continue to receive nutritious meals during long school vacations, when they do not have access to the National School Lunch or School Breakfast Programs.
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - A program administered by the State of Michigan through federal aid to assist eligible applicants with heating & cooling costs.
  • Deferment of Special Assessment - A program to assist/defer special assessments for senior citizens or totally & permanently disabled persons that meet income/eligibility requirements.  Basic information is available in printed form at the Laketon Township Hall.
  • Deferment of Summer Property Taxes - A program to allow eligible applicants to defer payment of summer property taxes until the winter property tax due date without interest or penalty.  Applications for summer tax deferment can be obtained at the Laketon Township Hall and must be filed before the summer tax due date (Sept. 14) each year.
  • Property Tax relief during Active Military Service  - A program to assist those on active duty military service from having homes seized &/or sold if taxes become delinquent during a tour of duty.  There are exceptions.
    Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs - Advocates and assists currently active military, veterans and their families.  Phone:  517-481-8000 Online at www.michigan.gov/dmva
  • Energy Payment Assistance - There are various programs to assist with energy bill payments for low-income, senior citizens and others.  Click on this link to go to the Consumer's Energy Website with further links to each different program.
  • Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) - a federally funded, low-income residential energy conservation program. The program provides free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. These services reduce energy use and lower utility bills, thus creating more self-sufficient households.
  • Michigan Home Heating Credit - The Home Heating Credit (HHC) is designed to assist low income families living in Michigan with the cost of heating their homes. The Michigan Department of Treasury processes the Home Heating Credit claim form (typically done when you do your annual income tax filing - you can file for the credit even if you are not required to file State of Michigan Income Taxes) and issues payments.
  • State Emergency Relief - The State Emergency Relief (SER) Program provides immediate help to individuals and families facing conditions of extreme hardship or for emergencies that threaten health and safety. Through a combination of direct financial assistance and contracts with a network of non-profit organizations such as the Salvation Army and local Community Action Organizations, SER helps low-income households meet emergency needs such as: heat & utilities, home repairs, relocation assistance, home ownership services, burial etc
  • Medicaid & other Michigan Health Care Programs - programs for low income families, pregnant women, persons under age 21, blind, disabled & people over age 65
  • Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP) - Free counseling services for Medicare &/or Medicaid beneficiaries, their families &/or caregivers.  MMAP counselors are trained in Medicare/Medicaid law and regulations, health insurance counseling and relevant insurance products. Phone:  1-800-803-7174  or www.mmapinc.org 
County/Local Programs
You may also wish to visit www.govbenefits.gov for a more comprehensive list of government programs/benefits and links to their websites.
Please note:  content here-in, is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed.  Please call the Township Hall if you have any questions or concerns regarding the content of this website. Thank you.

This website is maintained in house, so if you do not see something you are looking for, please call the Laketon Township Hall at 231-744-2454.