Please note: content here-in is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed. Please call the Township Hall if you have any questions or concerns regarding the content of this website.
General Township Information
Yard Waste Disposal Site
This site is for the personal use of township residents only.
A resident wishing to use the site must purchase a $10.00 Yard Waste Card each year. No one will be permitted to use the site until a yard waste card is purchased.
No contractors are permitted to use the site. The site is located behind the township hall on Green Creek Rd.
An attendant is on site to verify residency and will ask to see your driver's license and yard waste card.
Thank you for your cooperation in providing proof of your Laketon Township Residency.
2012 Hours of Operation
2012 - Spring/Summer Hours - 04/03/2012 to 11/18/2012
Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
2012 - Fall Hours - 10/14/2012 to 11/18/2012 (check our facebook page or the news and information page of this website for updates)
Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays10:00 am to 7:00 pm
Sundays from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
All dates and hours of operation are "weather permitting". The site may be closed on days it is scheduled to be open if inclement weather dictates.
Once closed for the season the site will no longer have hours with an attendant and will be CLOSED until spring.
However, during the off season/winter months, a key will be signed out to residents during regular business hours Monday thru Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (excluding holidays) as long as weather permits the site to be accessed. The site is not maintained during the winter months and snow and ice often prevent entry.
- Grass clippings - can be brought loose or in paper bags. Plastic bags must be emptied and removed from the site.
- Leaves - can be brought loose or in paper bags. Plastic bags must be emptied and removed from the site.
- Brush up to three (3) inches in diameter.
- Other yard/garden waste - but nothing over 3 inches in diameter, no stumps and no root balls.
Muskegon County Solid Waste Disposal Site
Laketon Township currently provides "dump cards" to be used at the Muskegon County Solid Waste site on Apple Avenue, just east of Maple Island Road. The "dump cards" provide up to four (4) discounted trips to the landfill per calendar year. Please call Muskegon County Solid Waste for more information on operating hours and accepted/non-accepted materials/items 231-724-6001.
Picnic Areas, Athletic Fields & Playgrounds
Picnic Shelters - SINCE January 1, 2011 A RESERVATION POLICY & RENTAL COSTS FOR USE OF ALL LAKETON TOWNSHIP PICNIC SHELTERS WAS IMPLEMENTED.
For a variety of reasons, the Laketon Township Board has decided to do away with the long time policy of first come/first serve no cost use of the picnic shelters for large parties/gatherings etc.
The Laketon Township Board adopted the new reservation policy at their regular Board meeting on 01/20/2011 and it is effective immediately. Please read the policy below.
The pavilion use is subject to the following Township Board adopted policy. The primary purpose of the pavilions is to provide a public recreation area for township residents.
1. There shall be no possession or consumption of alcohol in the pavilions or any township park.
2. Reservations shall be made for residents and non-residents. You must be at least 21 years of age to reserve a pavilion and responsible adult supervision must be provided at all times. Please have this completed/signed form with you to verify your reservation.
3. The pavilion may be reserved for two time slots per day 8:00am to 2:00pm and 3:00 pm to dusk. The cost is $50.00 per time slot. NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE. Note: The park closes at dusk and shall be evacuated by this time.
4. There shall be no bikes, inline skates, skateboards etc. used in the pavilions.
5. There shall be no motorized vehicles in the park. They must be left in designated parking areas.
6. Noise shall be kept to a minimum and consistent with levels considered normal for small gatherings.
7. No grills allowed under the pavilion roof.
8. Failure to adhere to the rules as established by the Laketon Township Board for the use of these pavilions may result in the denial of future use for individuals and/or groups.
9. The applicant is responsible for the cost of repairing damage to the pavilion and surrounding area.
10. Groups using the pavilions agree to save and hold harmless the Township of Laketon and its agents from any and all liabilities or responsibilities arising from incidents related to the use of the pavilions or grounds. It is further understood and agreed by all users of the pavilions that the Township of Laketon assumes no obligation regarding the use of the premises by the users.
11. The Township of Laketon reserves the right to determine who shall and shall not use the pavilions. The Township can deny the use of the pavilions if in the Township Board's judgment the particular request for facility use is not in the best interest of the community.
12. Individuals and/or groups using the facility are responsible for cleaning and leaving the pavilion in ready to use condition, i.e., remove all decorations, pick up garbage and take garbage to dumpster provided, and generally clean the area.
Anyone wishing to reserve/rent any township pavilion will have to come in to the Laketon Township Hall and complete the short rental application and pay the appropriate rental fee.
Athletic fields - baseball diamonds, soccer fields, football fields are used regularly by organized youth sports clubs, but can be used by anyone. If you would like to use the fields for an organized event, please contact the Laketon Township offices for more information.
Playgrounds - the playgrounds are for the enjoyment of all children, please be respectful of the equipment. Some playground toys have been removed due to damage caused by vandalism.
Walking path - there is a paved walking path around the Lange Baseball Complex that is approximately 1/2 mile around. Along this path and in this area are doggie clean-up stations with bags for removing dog waste. If you bring your dog for some exercise, please be a responsible pet owner and remove the waste and dispose of it properly. Remember, all dogs must be on a leash.
Please note: signs are located in the park indicating areas where dogs are not permitted - such as athletic fields and playgrounds. The parks are your parks, please help to preserve them by following established rules for everyone's safety and enjoyment of the parks.